findmypast logo

Topic: Glanworth, Cork

Add reply

Posts Date

In the Late 18th century, how much trade and travel would be between Glanworth and Mitchellstown County Cork. Was Mitchellstown the market town for Glanworth to the West and Kilworth to the South?

09 September 2011 18:50
by mhelmant

There are two major market towns that serviced Glanworth. Mitchelstown to the north-east, and Fermoy to the south-east. To the west, and slightly further away is Mallow.

14 September 2011 13:29
by Brian

In the late 18th Century, trade and travel between Glanworth and Mitchelstown would have been firmly established and growing.
Throughout the 18th Century there was a pick up in Irish agrarian exports, as Ireland became an important provisioning country, for the British colonies. Farmers throughout the county of Cork increasingly sent their produce to the Butter Market in Cork city to achieve the best prices.
If you want to get a better sense of travel between Glanworth and Mitchelstown in county Cork, then take a look at Wilson's Post Chaise Companion published in 1786, or Taylor & Skinner's maps, which are slightly earlier.

26 September 2011 16:20
by Fiona

My 1790's Mitchelstown Shoemaker ancestor Andrew Casey married a Flynn from Kilworth on the road to Fermoy. There are Casey's in Glanworth but the only records I can find of that period are Church of Ireland Parish register extracts in the LDS Family History Library BRITISH Film 596421 Item 7. Which contains an Index to persons and places -- Baptisms, 1808- 1877 -- Marriages, 1811-1846 -- Burials, 1811-1846. If anyone would like me to look up their ancestors fo Glanworth let me know. My question now is "would leather goods such as finished shoes be an item sold in a market or just custom made for the customer?

30 September 2012 04:40
by mhelmant

Is it possible to get a list of inscriptions for the old graveyard in Glanworth?

21 April 2013 09:21
by john walsh

Hello Michael. Could you look up a relative for me- James Fennessy/Finnesy born around 1835 in Glanworth and let me know his parents names. Thank you so much. You can e-mail me at michael.boyle@evobio.eu

Thank you!!!!!

16 November 2013 19:25
by Mike Boyle