findmypast logo

Topic: Irish = ???

Add reply

Posts Date

This is something I thought about a lot while travelling. I think we have a good reputation as a people, but do we deserve it? Is Ireland really the land of a 1000 welcomes (Céad Mile Failte?)

23 August 2011 14:41
by Cliona

I'm from America, and have been coming to Ireland nearly every year. And that's becasue you guys are so much fun and ever so friendly! Keep up the good work Ireland : )

23 August 2011 14:51
by Mark

I wish I could make it over to Ireland more but I try to keep tradition alive as much as possible here in Philadelphia with our monthly céili's and through the local GAA club. I don't think you need to be physically present to be Irish, its just in your blood.

23 August 2011 15:32
by

Wow..Irish Matt...I wish we had monthly céili's in my state Connecticut! Although my annual trip to Ireland with the knowledge of some proper Irish dancing keeps me going through the year. 24 days and counting till I will be drinking a Guiness in Galway! Máire - Are you from Ireland?

25 August 2011 11:05
by Mark

The Irish are beautiful people...Inside and Out : )

26 August 2011 11:00
by Ciara

I am just finding out what it means to be Irish.
To me, it's finding out the heartships my family went through in Ireland. I have hard times in my life and I think of how hard my great great grandparents had it. I do alot of wondering, what was their lives like back then? what kind of people were they?
My grandfather came to the US in spring of 1910, he married and had 6 children, he past many years before I was born. my father never talked about him much, he was 9 when his father past. Not many pictures left in our family, after all the aunts & uncles have been gone for years.
There is only a few grandchildren of that one Irishman that made the trip to the USA that are trying to piece together who we were to find out who we are.
So to me Irish means always looking and FAMILY!

31 August 2011 22:09
by Vivian

The one thing I will say about being from an Irish family may I steal a quote from President Ronald Reagan when he commented how he had a surge of energy when he arrived in Ireland for a State visit. I heard that comment also from the late Pete McCarthy (author) There must be something in your Irish DNA that "kicks in." I get it when I go 'home' to County Kerry where both my parents were born and their Great-Great-Great-Grandparents too. I even felt it going on holiday this year to Glenties in Donegal. A boyish excitement-if you like- to be back in Ireland. I was born in Birmingham, England 56 years ago but still maintain links to Ireland. My Talbot website is: http://d3278.tribalpages.com/ Contact me for a password for an irish flavour.

09 September 2011 16:53
by Michael

Me too! I get a real rush of excitement when I get 'home' to the old counteree!
The first time I took my partner to visit my family he absolutely fell for the place and people and couldn't wait to visit again - I'd never seen him so in love with a place! Then I kept digging and found his Scottish ancestors actually came from a village nearby where mine came from - he was Irish after all!! Ancestral memories! And he freaked when he saw Ailsa Craig from the ferry - then we discovered his ancestors came from Ayrshire and for them this may have been a familiar landmark! Spoooky!

09 September 2011 18:13
by Leona

It is 30 yrs since I started digging my Irish roots.... My nameline 2 x great grandfather Patrick Burns was born in Co Limerick in a place called Rathkeale, his father John Burns was widowed soon afterwards and went to Achill island Co Mayo where he married again and had a second family.... All four siblings from his first marriage and one from the second came to Preston, Lancashire, England between 1864 & 1877... all married Irish spouses from various counties and my 2 x great grandmother was from County Antrim..... On my maternal line, my grandfather told me his great-grandmother had come from Ireland, but on tracing all four of them... none had done so... However, many years and a few lucky breaks later I founds his 2 x great grandmother and her mother on the 1841 census place of birth "I".... so my mum who loves all things irish finally has irish blood after all...

09 September 2011 22:54
by pete

I am doing a study on Irish Identity and would love for you to do the survey at http://www.martinebrennan.com/your-irish-identity.html if you would like to

08 December 2011 07:16
by Martine

i am irish, its greate, i would never leave ireland as it is where my roots are and my child hood memories and the memories of my own children, proud to be laid back irish :) as long as our harts warm to those we love and as long as we follow our harts we can never go wrong . slan lath

28 December 2011 23:00
by stacey

I have a lot of ancestors who are Irish, and for me its the music, I love Irish music, and dance as well.
If I could go anywhere it would be Ireland, my heart aches to one day get to visit such a beautiful place

02 January 2012 19:40
by Esty

Ireland is just great my view of been Irish is that I always have a thousand welcomes for everyone regardless of colour religion etc....as I find it a stranger is a friend I've never met!!!

24 January 2012 02:02
by Colm

What does it mean to be Irish? For me, it is a feeling, deep down in my heart. This feeling of 'Irishness' makes my heart swell with pride whenever I talk about Ireland, or say that my parents came from Cork. Irish people are the envy of the world.

25 February 2012 22:24
by kathleen

MODIFIED:
13 August 2012 14:01
by Eduard

I always remember my oldest brother saying whenever he went to a foreign country , it was then he was proud to be Irish and wouldn't forget his roots , some people seem to forget where they come from and loose their accent and everything else with it when they go abroad, but not the people who are truly proud to be Irish.

03 April 2014 13:23
by Elaine Hartigan

My Dad was from Cork City but left for England when he was in his 40s. He married my mother in London and never went home again except for brief visits. The second time I went to Ireland I was 19, and Dad and I went on a coach tour that started in Cork City and took in the Ring of Kerry. One of the stops on the tour was Macroom, largely I think because William Penn's father had at one time owned Macroom Castle, and it was of particular interest to Americans. I knew nothing about Macroom, but the minute I stepped off the coach I was completely overwhelmed. I knew I never wanted to leave the place again. Some time later I mentioned Macroom to my Dad and he told me our family had originated from there. I can't explain what happened to me, but it must have been some kind of race memory. I still dream of one day living there.

05 April 2014 18:40
by Tricia Donovan

I'm proud to have Irish blood flowing through me from 4 branches of my family. My grandfather's father (Alex Gibson) came to America from Dublin Ireland in 1867 and settled in South Carolina where he died in 1904. He was a successful business owner (brickyard). The physical connection that is clearest to me is a letter from gg grandfather's brother in Dublin (return address of his letter is 20 Upper Pembroke Street in Dublin) dated Nov. 1903. GG grandfather's Irish brother talks about all the happenings with friends and family and urges his brother in the States to write more often. I can remember when I was a little boy, my grandmother and grandfather teasing each other about their Irish Temper. Just wish I had been old enough to listen more carefully what they would say about their Irish past. They both died before I was 11 years old. I do know they loved Ireland and passed that love on to their children and grandchildren here in the States. Yes, I am proud to be of Irish descent. Would absolutely love to learn about my Irish kin in Ireland nowadays. I know they are there somewhere! willgib44@carolina.rr.com

15 August 2014 14:14
by willgibsonUSA

MODIFIED:
15 August 2014 23:49
by willgibsonUSA