findmypast logo

Topic: Opinions on Murphy's of Wexford

Add reply

Posts Date

Trying to trace Irish ancestors and hitting a bit of a wall, Murphy’s in Wexford Ireland are a bit ten-a-penny, William and Bridget are also very common Christian names!

William Murphy and his wife Bridget were born in Wexford Ireland. I have them on the 1911 and 1901 census in Kirkdale, Liverpool with their children. From the census info, William was born C.1861 and Bridget C. 1864
The eldest child – Elizabeth was born in Ireland according to the census C.1890. The next child, Mary was born in Liverpool which narrows down the date which they travelled to the UK.
This would put William and Bridget at age 29 and 26 at the time of the birth of their first daughter which I though was quite old for the period??

I ordered the birth certificate of another of their children, Anastasia Murphy born 4th May 1894 in Kirkdale, Liverpool – (unusual name so I knew it was the correct child) which gives the father as William Murphy, Seaman Merchant Service and the mother as Bridget Murphy, Formerly Murphy. The address is 2 streets away from the address given in the 1901 census so confident it is the correct family.

I can only find one possible marriage for a William Murphy marrying a Bridget Murphy in the Wexford area of Ireland but this is for 1891 and would have been after the birth of their first child ?? I will order the marriage certificate but thought it might be worth getting a second opinion first.

Ireland Marriages 1845-1958 Transcription
First name(s): William
Last name: Murphy
Registration year: 1891
Registered Quarter/Year: Apr - Jun 1891
Registration district: Enniscorthy
Volume: 4
Page: 316
William Murphy married one of these people: Bridget Murphy, Bridget Greene, Mary Leary, Bridget Bolger
County: Carlow, Wexford
Record set Irish Marriages 1845-1958

Any help on this would be appreciated as it is driving me literally insane ... my father in law thinks I'm a genealogy whizz and I don't want to let him down!

09 October 2017 22:06
by lianne murph

I have now confirmed that this marriage is NOT the correct one

I have however found the birth of the eldest daughter Elisabeth - born on 31st Dec 1889 Address given is Trinity Road Wexford, Father William Murphy (sailor) and mother Bridget Murphy (formerly Murphy)

Still need to find the marriage of William and Bridget in Wexford!

10 October 2017 16:53
by lianne murph